Reader Luis Pires would like to help people in the same situation and so, described us the necessary process, to date, to file an ISV exemption, when moving to Portugal.
Remember that this exemption is for all persons that move to Portugal, portuguese or not, country of origin in the UE or not - the ISV exemption request is possible for all the people from all the countries.
This is the (amateur) translated transcription of the text written by Luis Pires on the comments section of another page (I´ve slightly edited the text, added links where necessary).
I´m new here and maybe I can help someone with my own experience.
For those who intend to return to Portugal and bring your car with you and legalise it without paying ISV, you should do the following:
- The car must be in your name for at least 6 months.
- Get from the proper authorities of the country where you reside a certificate stating that you´re leaving the country, meaning, you´ll be canceling your residence in that country. If that doesn´t exist, the Portuguese Consulate will testify that.
- In Portugal get a inspecção B (a license plate inspection) - you should have the car´s COC.
- After the inspection (if approved), you go to the IMT and ask for the homologation number.
- You go to the Portal do Cidadão and fill the DAV (Declaração Aduaneira de Veículos) online and send it to the AT (Autoridade Tributária), you write down the DAV number and go to the AT office of your portuguese residence (you can see which office you belong to in the AT website).
- Take photocopies of everything, car´s documents, inspection, passport or citizen ID, COC, some documents of your daily life in that country, utility receipts, rent receipts, etc., take salary slips too.
- You need to have your address regular in Portugal and be debt free to the AT.
- After that you just have to wait a few days and pick up the DAV at the AT office.
- After, with the DAV, you´ll need to go to the car registry office and register ownership.
I did all these steps alone, I had an ISV exemption of almost... 11.000€!
There´s always a catch... in the first year you can´t loan the car, and you can´t sell it for 5 years, or else you´ll have to pay the remaining ISV, you can´t change your address outside Portugal for a year (at least it was like this in 2017).
I´d like to point out that the clerks at the Jardim do Tabaco AT are very friendly, helpful and efficient! Be it by phone, email or in person. Congratulations!
I hope that this helps anyone´s doubts.
Doubts or questions? Use the comments section below.
Todas as informações pretendem ser de leitura clara, simples e acessível, com o objectivo de constituirem um primeiro acesso à informação pretendida.
Por essa razão, poderão não ser totalmente completas ou tecnicamente exactas. No entanto, são dadas de boa fé e com base fundamentada na legislação em vigor.
Devido ao contexto e unicidade de cada caso, sempre que necessário, todas as informações deverão ser validadas por escrito junto da entidade oficial responsável.
Todos os direitos reservados - é permitida a cópia ou reutilização de partes deste sítio desde que seja atribuída a sua origem e autoria.
Política de Privacidade e de Tratamento de Dados Pessoais